Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reflection

For what may be my last blog post for my 20 time project, the drone, I am just going to answer these questions:What went well? What did not? What would you change? What did you learn? 

What went well?
For this questions there is numerous answers, but by far the best one is the over completion of the project.  Multiple small goals ultimately led up to the big goal.  The part of the project that was the easiest and most frustration-free was the physical building of the drone.  This was by far the easiest part of the project because I already had most of the skills need for assembly, like soldering.  Although the drone frame did not come with as any sort of directions, it was easy to figure out where each part went.  But overall the project as a whole probably went the best because it was completed and my goal was achieved.

What did not go well?
Sooooo many things.  During one of my first few flights, for example, I crashed the drone and a part of it broke, luckily it was an easy fix.  Along with the occasional crash of the drone, the programming of the drone and controller were by far the most difficult and frustrating part of the project.  Unlike the drone frame the drone electronics and transmitter had manuals, but they were supper complex.  The manuals were almost written in a different language using special acronyms like ESC, PMU, and many others.  The programming is where I got stuck the most, but then I would go to the drone store and they would help immensely.  They helped decrypt the programming language, and were always there when I flat-out could not understand how something worked.  There is nothing more frustrating than to see your project all built, but knowing that a couple programming  glitches  are setting you back(especially because those changes are practically invisible).  The reason why programming did not go very well is mainly because I had to learn what to do and how to do it.

What would you change?
This question focuses more on 20 time than my project and what I would do to change it.  Well, at the start of the year my teacher told us to shoot for the stars and if you fall short it would be O.K.  But what he did not realize is that when he told us to do this many of us did not feel comfortable in shooting for the stars.  Of those people that felt pressured to achieve greatness, many failed and switched their project back into a more comfortable project and never had that zeal for 20 time again.  I shoot for the stars, though, and it actually worked out.  What I'm trying to say is that shooting for the stars is not for everyone, because many of us can do cool things without going outside our comfort zone. 

What did you learn?
EVERYTHING, from programming to flying, I truly believe that I have mastered programming the drone.  There are a few things here and there that I still need to figure out, but I think I know pretty much all there is to programming my drone.  What I learned the most is that building and programming a drone is hard.  This is why finishing the project makes it feel that much better, knowing you overcame a huge obstacle.  I also learned how to fly and program the drone too.

No comments:

Post a Comment