Sunday, March 29, 2015

Huston We Have Lift Off

My drone is finally flying.  I went up to the hobby store and worked on my drone with them for a good 4 hours on Saturday.  Apparently the problem was that the motors were not spinning the right way.   The motors on my quad copter are brush-less meaning that they only spin 1 way, even if I decided to reverse the polarity of the current to the motor it would spin, just not as fast.  One motor on the quad copter had this problem and it caused the quad copter to flip.  The reason I had no idea this was happening was because the propellers spin so fast it is hard to tell the difference between one spinning at 1,000RMPs and another at 1,500RPMs.  Once this problem was fixed it was off to the races.
The first maiden flight I was very hesitant with the throttle, thinking that is was going to flip with any false move.  Thankfully it did not and I hovered it a few feet off the ground.  The second flight I was a little more ambitious and started to move it in a 10ft box.  Let me tell you it is a lot harder than it looks to pilot a drone than you think.  Off course with success there is always failure.  I had a few crash landings, but thankfully nothing got injured on it.  After a few shaky flights it became evident to me that I definitely needed a lot more practice.  These next few weeks my goal is to work on my piloting.

No comments:

Post a Comment